Monday, April 6, 2009

Bad Hair Day


When I need a big shot of caffeine, I reach for this mug. You might not guess from the picture, but it holds two large mugs of coffee (or whatever) -- and…it’s fun!

If I think I’m having a bad hair day, I just look at the mug.

Today, this picture made me think about how others see me. Do they see the bad hair – or the smile? Waaaay too often, it’s the bad hair because the smile isn’t there.

A number of years ago, I taught Life Skills and Career Planning for women in transition. Each time we covered job search techniques, one question was inevitable: “What should I wear to a job interview?”

I remember discussing the benefits of a ‘blue power suit’ but I always stressed that the best thing you can wear to an interview is a smile.

Proverbs 15:13a says, “A happy heart makes the face cheerful...”

It's true, if my heart is happy, it shows on my face. But I think it works well the other way, too.

Putting a smile on my face encourages a happy heart. I feel happy because my face says I am. And I’m pretty sure it makes for a better hair day, too!

No comments: