Thursday, January 22, 2009

Keen Minds


For the past week, I’ve had my neighbours’ kids staying with me here at the end of the road, while their parents flew south for a well-deserved vacation. I can’t speak for the kids, but I’ve had a blast. Nothing like young minds and bodies to keep you going!

We went sledding, and I pulled them on a toboggan behind the quad leaving a trail that would put to shame any ‘drunkard’s path’ quilt! Daily, we fed our horses and travelled to their farm to feed 4-H calves and other assorted creatures, including a huge white feline they call ‘Jolly Old Cat.’

One night after completing both sets of chores, I thought they might need a break from my cooking so I offered to go for pizza. The only problem was that I was in my barnyard clothes and didn’t want to run into anyone I knew. They offered all kinds of advice including:
“Just tell them you are starting a new style,” and
“Yeah, ‘barnyard’ is the new black!”
We really enjoyed that pizza!

I took them to and from school, asked what they learned, and teased them that the teachers must be overpaid because they always claimed not to have learned anything. At mealtime, we discussed the day's events, history, and politics. After the inauguration, we talked about President Obama’s future popularity rating. I expect we'll re-visit that conversation several times over the next few years.

But my favourite part of each day was the bedtime reading. We started with The Highwayman and moved on to a modern version of Horatius at the Bridge. We had a couple of nights with Robert Service (Dan McGrew and Sam McGee) and finished up with Casey at the Bat, and Tom Sawyer. Last night I was at a loss, until the ten year old found a large old text on the bookshelf called A Treasury of the Familiar. He checked the index at the back and asked for “President Roosevelt Asks Congress to Declare War on Japan.” That was a first for them, as well as a first for me!

I marvel at these kids and their keen, open minds. And I’m so glad to have had this time with them.

Psalm 3:23 says,
“Wisdom is a tree of life to those who embrace her; those who lay hold of her will be blessed.”

Lord, help me to embrace wisdom and to realize that true wisdom comes only from You.

2 comments:

Debora said...

How nice of you to take the neighbor kids for a week. It sounds like they are having a wonderful time with you. Loved your choice of reading materials...I think I'd like to stay at your place for a week and feed horses, read classics and eat pizza.

Debora

Doodles said...

Wow - we just got back from visiting the grandkids in the north... our bedtime reading was Dr. Suess. Spending time with kids is always high on the "fun to do" list - glad we both got the opportunity!