Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Dawn...New Year




The New Year dawned with this lovely pink sky. I smiled. And I think that God smiled, too. I sat in my sunroom sipping Crème Brulée hot chocolate, (that Santa knows just what to leave in my stocking!) thinking about all there was to smile about.


Our little granddaughter, for one. She has a new trick called the ‘herd of elephants’. Pretty sure that Daddy is behind this one. They stomp all over the house making as much noise as possible, then lift their arms high and make the elephant’s noise. SNORT!


My husband makes me smile, too. We recently enjoyed a wonderful meal in an upscale city restaurant. After insisting that I couldn’t eat another bite, I managed to polish off a rich dessert while he took a call on his cell phone. When he returned to the table, he teased me about how quickly it disappeared. Adding that sucking, vacuum noise just for clarity.


I said, “When I’m dead and gone, and you’re looking for another wife, don’t do that to any of the prospects. I’m just giving you some sound advice – you’ll appreciate this knowledge, when the time comes.”


His response, “Too late. I’ve used all my charm on you, hon.”


I thought I’d die laughing. And I still chuckle when I think about it. This guy who is far more comfortable in jeans and boots at the ‘end of the road’ than in ‘dress up’ clothes at a fancy restaurant, had used up all his charm on me.


It’s good to laugh, isn’t it? Some days, laughter seems far away, but we all feel better after a good old, ‘from the boots’ belly-laugh. Even scripture tells us this:

“A cheerful heart is good medicine.” Proverbs 17:22

Thank you, Father, that you created laughter. Help me to find joy in some small way, every day this year.


I hope that 2009 brings you many opportunities to laugh. But if they don’t present themselves, don't be afraid to create them. Try the ‘herd of elephants’ for yourself. And after the SNORT, enjoy a rich dessert. Elephants love Crème Brulée!

No comments: