Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Look



Last weekend, I caught a tiny bit of the pre-Oscar hoopla. “Who are you wearing?” was the buzz-line as the rich and famous strutted their stuff on the red carpet. The flash bulbs popped and the crowd ‘ooohed’ and ‘aaawed’. Now, please don’t get me wrong – I like fashion as much as anyone – but this was over the top.

I thought about some of the getups I wear – especially for chores. What about my little Wind River number – a cinnamon brown, very earthy, yet with a the right accessories, it works! And what about the basic navy ski pants (with that divine little tear from an honest-to-goodness barbed wire fence!) – well they are just darling!

But the entire look wouldn’t be complete without the snow boots – still within those earthy tones in forest green. They just scream ‘look at me.’ If I have to run from a mean cow, I’m finished – but at least I’ll go down with the ‘right look’.

Everyone on the red carpet knows that accessories are everything. Today, I’ll choose a splash of colour with the 1971 vintage red hand-knit toque (a birthday gift from my sister). It’s made the rounds – me, mom, nieces/nephews, and now back to me. When I pull that toque on, I know it completes my look; and if Fashion Television ever wants to feature my kind of fashion, I’ll be ready. (But don’t hold your breath!)

The Bible has some great advice for us on the topic of clothes:

And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labour or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith. So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ for the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew 6:28-33)

“Father, when we are tempted to worry about how we look, remind us about the lilies and your care. It’s not about how we look; it’s about whom we look to…”

No comments: