Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Longing for Spring


Several years ago, one of my students introduced me to the song
“You Must Believe in Spring.”
Because this winter seems longer than any other I’ve known,
I’m holding on to this thought.


Just as a tree is sure
Its leaves will reappear;
It knows its emptiness
Is just the time of year



The frozen mountain dreams
Of April's melting streams,
How crystal clear it seems,
You must believe in Spring!


What crazy weather we are having…
a thaw…
then a cold snap…
another thaw…
and water, water everywhere!


The greenhouse awaits tomatoes,

the fence awaits sweet peas,

and the pine just wants the frost to be gone.

I pour over the seed catalogues



and long for spring,

new life,

new beginnings,

and an end to the cold.

How wonderful to know that God created an ordered universe.

Daniel 2:21a reads, “He changes times and seasons.”

And when spring does arrive,
and I enjoy the new growth once again,
remind me, Father, that You provide
this wonderful season through Your creation of order.

1 comment:

Debora said...

Thank you for a lovely sentiment.

Debora