Thursday, March 12, 2009

Snow Party

Sometimes, here at the end of the road, it seems that we are a long way from anywhere and anyone. But this past weekend, we held our ‘try for yearly, but it depends on the conditions’ Snow Party. The snow was still here, the weather was perfect, and about 30 people came to help us celebrate.

I have always loved tobogganing. It was one of my favourite activities when I was young. I remember rushing in from the school bus, dropping off our books, grabbing the toboggan and heading for the coulee. I’m glad our neighbours’ kids love it as much as I did.

Of course now it’s a little different than it was back then. Now, it’s all a ‘ride’ – both up and down the hill! The kids slid down on all types of sleds, sliders, and toboggans; the adults pulled them back up to the top with snowmobiles. The moms enjoyed hot chocolate as they stood on the deck and watched; and I caught some of the happenings on video…

Lots of thrills, some spills, but mostly laughter and fun. When it was over, we went back to the house for supper and more visiting.

I went to bed that night with the sound of the laughter still ringing in my head. I thought about the fun, but I also thought about the beauty of that coulee. In an area which is mostly flat prairie, these hills offer a beautiful change of scenery, and they don't change over time.

The author of Psalm 102 credited God for the creation when he wrote in verse 25, "In the beginning, You laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands."

I imagine a century ago, others enjoyed 'our' coulee. Today, we have the priviledge of spending time there, and sometime in the future, I hope others find its beauty, as well. Indeed, I hope the tradition of Snow Parties continues. These hills should ring with laughter…as kids of all ages enjoy the wonder of God's creation.







No comments: