Sunday, August 30, 2009

We Make the Path by Walking

A Spanish poet, Antonio Machado, is credited with these words: "Caminante, no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." which translates to “Traveler, there is no path; we make the path by walking.”

These words (the English ones!) ring in my brain each time I see a path. It wasn’t there until someone started to walk and others followed. With each subsequent use, the path became more pronounced.


Our pasture has many, many cow paths. Each year, the cows make a new one – right beside the one from the previous year. By midsummer, the path is well-worn. There is no doubt that it is this year’s path.


Many verses in the Bible that talk about paths, but today, this one stands out for me -- Proverbs 4:26 “Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm.”


Sometimes it’s not until I have walked for quite some time on a particular path, that I realize I shouldn’t be there. Who needs the grief that comes from trying to navigate a difficult or even treacherous path?

This summer, I’ve been working on a very difficult job. It will take several months to complete, and I can get quite cranky about it if I let myself ‘walk that path’. Daily (sometimes many times a day) I have to remind myself that because I make a path by walking, I am in control of where that path will be. I have to refuse to ‘walk’ in that territory that leads me to “Crankyville”.



The Bible also has good advice for this in Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.”


Thank you, Father, for these reminders. Help me to choose my steps and thoughts according to your Word.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Great post...a reminder to choose our paths with care.

Debora said...

Thanks for that insight. I love that saying!! Seems like when I try to clear my own path things get pretty ugly. (I usually step in something..if you get my drift) But thankfully, the all the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth...
Psalms 25:10).