Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Real Thing


This morning I noticed my houseplants – almost all in various stages of demise. I’ve been so busy with other things that I’d pretty much forgotten even the basics of care – like watering. Because some of them wouldn’t last another day, I grabbed a bucket of water and my kitchen shears and set to work. While I was working, I remembered that on my blog profile I claim an interest in ‘plants.’ Oh really? Like the half-dead Boston Fern? Or maybe the African Violets pathetically pleading for water? Is this claim really true about me? You wouldn’t know it by examining the evidence.


A few weeks ago, my husband and I were having dinner in a restaurant. Next to our little ‘table for two’ was a larger group of 6 young couples. I think it might have been someone’s birthday. What a great opportunity for them to enjoy their friendship. But instead of talking to the others and enjoying their time together, they spent almost the entire time on their cell phones texting or taking pictures of themselves having ‘fun.’ Now, please don’t get me wrong – I love to have pictures of times I spend with friends. However, with this group it seemed that creating the ‘image’ of having fun was more important than actually engaging.


I’ve been thinking a lot about authenticity. Maybe you can relate – it’s so tempting to present to others, an image of someone who lives in a world of cool activities and impressive accomplishments. Someone who ‘keeps it together.’ Her life is great, her husband is wonderful, and her kids ‘rise up and call her blessed.’


Why do we do that? I think it starts with the comparison game. Others' lives often appear far 'better' than our own. Maybe in an effort to impress, be accepted, or feel better about ourselves, we create a better image. If you have done this (and I think we all do to a certain extent) you know how energy-draining it is. Besides that, I wonder how meaningful our relationships can be if we’re not ‘real’ with each other or even with ourselves.


Aren’t you glad we don’t have to worry about wearing a mask with God? Psalm 139: 3b says,


You are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely.


What a great reminder that we don’t have to be anyone but ourselves with our Heavenly Father. He knows us and He loves us. And He’s not impressed by ‘cool.’


Thank you, Father, that we can come to you just as we are – no masks. Help us to be more authentic with others and with ourselves.

No comments: