Saturday, November 15, 2008

Winter Wood

“At least we won’t go hungry this winter,” my preschool neighbour said in her best ‘practical farmer’ voice. She and Grandma had spent the day digging potatoes, and I’m pretty sure she’d heard those words from Grandma as they worked away at the big job.

Today, when our ‘woodman’ came with our winter’s supply, I remembered my little neighbour’s words. “Well, at least we won’t be cold this winter,” I thought as I watched three cords of wood tumbling out of his big truck, onto the ground.

Maybe it’s the time of year – or because we live ‘at the end of the road’ a distance from town, but I feel a little better knowing we’re ready for the months ahead. Like my neighbour, we have plenty of potatoes in the cellar, and now we have a nice supply of tamarack and birch. I even have jars of jam and pickles in the coldroom. Now I just need to find recipes that combine potatoes with raspberry jam or tomato salsa!

Matthew 6:8 says, “My Father knows what you need before you ask Him.”

Thank you, Father, for supplying our needs.
May Your love warm our home.


No comments: