Sunday, December 14, 2008

All Shapes and Sizes

I ‘ooohed’ and ‘ahhhed’ over the shells and pieces of coral, carefully inspecting each one before adding it to the growing collection in my bag. You see, I have a rock garden here at the ‘end of the road,’ and I love the idea of having all kinds of rocks placed between the creeping greenery. My friend, Elaine, loves rocks, too. She once told me that we don’t ‘steal’ rocks, we just move them. And after we’re gone from this earth, someone else will move them again. So far, I have 'moved' rocks from the coulee below our house, my grandfather's homestead, and Arizona.
A week ago, I took a leisurely morning walk along a beach in Mexico, looking for some additions to my garden rock collection. The shells and coral pieces were plentiful; I could have had bags in just minutes. But I was being quite choosy. They had to meet my standards before making the ‘cut’. My luggage was already overweight, and I wasn’t keen to pay extra just to get these pieces home. They had to go in my carry-on and there was precious little room there, too.

So, I had to be ruthless in my choosing. No broken pieces, only shells that were well-marked and well-polished. Nothing too large, too small, too heavy, or too fragile. I thought about how just one ‘fault’ would result in a piece being discarded.... And I thought about how wonderful it is that our God doesn’t choose this same way.

The second chapter of Luke, records the Christmas story. In verse ten we read the angel’s announcement of Jesus’ birth,

“Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.”

This message was for ALL people – not just the pretty, the well-polished, the ‘right-sized’ or the strong -- but ALL people. Through the precious gift of His own Son, God welcomes us ALL into His family.

“Thank you, Father, that you don’t choose only some –
but that you welcome all who seek you.”
It will be many months before I place these wonderful shells and pieces of coral out in my rock garden. It's 25 degrees below zero here today and garden is covered in snow. Spring seems far away. But when I do place my new additions, I'll remember the beach in Mexico and thank God, once again, that He doesn't pick favourites -- ALL are welcome.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I've so enjoyed my visit here...and I'll be back! I collect rocks from many interesting places as well...the most recent one I brought home is from near Joshua Tree, California.

We visited the Mayan ruins a few years ago...quite incredible.