Thursday, December 18, 2008

Shoo Fly!


Shoo fly don’t bother me
Shoo fly don’t bother me
Shoo fly don’t bother me
For I belong to somebody.


I can’t get it out of my head!

Our little granddaughter was here today, and as she was being tucked into her car seat, I heard that peppy tune (sung by children, of course) playing in her vehicle. And now it’s going ‘round and ‘round in my head.

I walked up the road after they left, and those words kept bouncing around with my every step. I checked on the cats’ food and shoveled the sidewalk --- moving in time to that crazy song.

I was so desperate to lose this melody, that I put on some Christmas music when I came back into the house, but whenever there was a break between songs, back it came:

Shoo fly don’t bother me
Shoo fly don’t bother me
Shoo fly don’t bother me
For I belong to somebody.

The worst of this is that I can only blame myself – I gave her the CD!

Next time, I’ll be a little more choosy about the tunes I buy for her. Maybe a little Bluegrass? Bet her parents would like that!

As I share this story with you, I remember Psalm 37:31 “The law of his God is in his heart; his feet do not slip.” and Psalm 119:11 that talks about the value of knowing and treasuring God’s word in our hearts. “Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You.”

I’m grateful now for the scripture verses I committed to memory as a child as well as those I learned as our son worked on his Kids Club memory badges. How many times has a scripture verse I memorized years ago, come back to me just when I needed the reminder! I’m glad those verses are tucked away in my heart.

Now if I could just get rid of Shoo Fly!

No -- that's not the answer! It would be more fun if you sang along! Just click on this link:

http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Cottage/3192/Shoofly.html

No comments: