Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's Good To Be Home

I just returned from a great vacation in Mexico. This time we travelled with our son and daughter-in-law. SO MUCH FUN!

One of the highlights for me was visiting the Mayan ruins and climbing to the top of the oldest pyramid in Mexico! This was a remarkable accomplishment because, you see, I am stair-challenged.

No kidding. From as far back as I can remember, I have fallen down stairs quite handily. Mom used to say that she’d see me at the top of the stairs with my foot out, ready to descend, and down I’d tumble for no apparent reason.

Later, as a teen, one of my most embarrassing moments involved falling down a flight of stairs in a store. My sister didn’t watch my klutzy move, but when she heard the clatter, she knew what had happened. “Just Joey, falling down some stairs again!”

Years later, when I taught at a community college, I was a little concerned that almost all my classes were booked for classrooms on the second floor of my building. I managed to avoid falling on those stairs – but I really took my time, and held onto the railing for dear life!

So, you see, for me to successfully climb this pyramid (and get down without falling!) was a thrill beyond belief.

It was a great vacation. Lots of sun, fabulous food, and great company. But I’m glad to be back home at the ‘end of the road’ once more. I have a flight of stairs here, too, but they aren’t nearly as steep as those on the pyramid and, when I take a tumble, the carpet provides a cushion that the cold, hard stones on the pyramid steps do not. Ah, yes, it is good to be home!

This evening I've been thinking about our steps in life. Proverbs 4: 11-13 reads:

I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble. Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life.

“Father, thank you for guiding my steps on that pyramid.
Help me to hold on to Your instruction for all of my journeys in this life.
Plant my feet on Your pathway and guide me all the way --
until I say for the last time,
"It's good to be home."

No comments: