Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Already?



If you are reading this at your computer knowing that all your Christmas preparations are complete, I want to live at your house! I have never been so far behind – and yet I feel strangely calm about it all.

I’m not sure what happened this year… but for some reason, those things that used to matter a whole lot, just didn’t get done. (baking, Christmas cards, lights, and thoughtful meaningful gifts) I got the tree up two days ago, the cards will have to wait until next year, and when I finally got to town today, the ‘gift card frenzy’ was my only dance (except for the ‘bakery two-step’, I mean.)

I don’t get it. What went wrong? I asked our son if he remembered in the ‘olden days’ how I was always prepared. I certainly remember always having lots of cookies and other goodies prepared and in the freezer. I remember that I always sent cards (with letters and pictures!). I even remember having gifts purchased and wrapped and under the tree at least a month before Christmas.

But he doesn’t remember that. No, he claims the tree went up a couple of days before, and ‘there was a lot of yelling.’ Yikes!

Maybe those perfectly orchestrated Christmases I so fondly look back on took place before he could remember them.

I ran into our Pastor in town this week. He must have noticed my ‘stunned/crazed look’ – you know the one – worn only by those not even in the running. He gave me some good advice: “Don’t let the distractions keep you from the true meaning of the season. Don’t let any of it keep you from experiencing the wonder of Christ.”

I’ve decided to heed his advice. I don’t know how many Christmases we’ll have with family, but I know we’ll never have this one again, so I’m going to enjoy it and not stress about those things that really don’t matter.

II Corinthians 9:15 reads, “Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift.”

“Thank you, Father, for meeting us where we are, in the person of Your son, Jesus. May we know Your presence in this season.”

We’re celebrating a birthday! The most wonderful birthday ever. Distractions like baking and cards shouldn’t keep us from the pure joy of knowing that the baby in the manger was God’s own son, sent to redeem the world.

Fire up the music and tap your toes. Or better yet, when I put out the butter tarts, do a ‘bakery two-step’ with me!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments: